Repainting my Dark Angels army from 2005

a place to chat about miniatures, show off conversions and paint schemes and anything else miniature related

Repainting my Dark Angels army from 2005

Postby Deviance » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:29 pm

So Im new here, used to collect and play at Tyger Valley when Battle Bunker was still a Model/hobby shop back in 2005/6 or something.
8th edition got me back into it, so Im slowly but surely stripping and painting my army up.
Bought a bunch of second hand stuff and thats in the works now too.

Just finishing up my infantry at the moment, thought I could use some feedback on my painting.

Still getting back into the swing of things.
Stripped the models with Clean Green/nail polish remover, each worked differently depending on what primer I used. I used several different brands of spray when priming them befor, so some where more stubborn than others.
Still waiting on a few paints to arrive to finish them up(paints are turning out to be as expensive as the units)
Started repainting from oldest to newest, edge highlighting on some of the old models proved to be a bit of a challenge, with dents and mould lines that I never got rid of/was a bit messy with chopping, but Im improving slowly.
Basing still needs to be done overall

Heres everything befor I got stuck into the painting, my old army on the right, the new stuff/second hand stuff on the left in ultramarine colours
Still got some touching up and fixing to do on various, testing some with drybrushing highlights and some with edge highlighting.
Some of the old characters, still with some arms and swords and stuff to stick on.
Still struggling with doing the eyes, my hand isnt quite practised or steady enough to get that 100%
And power swords still need THE POWAR

Got some other stuff still coming, but that will only be next year(the pain of waiting)
Started on some of the tanks, nearly finished my first Rhino and one of the Razorbacks.
So yeah, any thoughts, comments, tips and tricks etc are more than welcome.
Deviance
private

Re: Repainting my Dark Angels army from 2005

Postby geekgrrrl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:45 am

I love the painting so far - the heavy washing really brings out the details nicely. No advice on the eyes unfortunately - I generally don't paint mine, just using the wash to give a suggestion of eyes instead.
geekgrrrl
lieutenant

Postby Deviance » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Havnt done too much recently, was cold season, so didnt wanna sneeze and ruin stuff.
Also, the amount of stuff left to do is pretty intimidating.

so here we go.
Some tanks, after washing and edge highlighting, Im not sure what else one can do to them...

Then I tried getting fancy with basing and stuff for Cypher, grass came out very vibrant on the photos, its not actually that bright.
Also, think Im better at painting tyranids than Space Marines, lol.
Image Image

Although I still think it looked better without the grass
Deviance
private

Postby Severian » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 am

Looking good. Bases & Faces always delivers a disproportionate impact on the look of the model. 8-)

If I may make a suggestion do a bit of drybrushing on the edges and angles of the bases. Two shades of lighter brown and a cream or even lighter grey to get a bit more definition and depth. Sorry I am unfamiliar with a l the new GW colours (use a lot of Vallejo colours theses days.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
Azmodan - Jetbike archon "Charge the Monkeigh!... By Khaine where did those wheels come from.. arrgh" plummets to the ground floor *CRASH*
Severian
general

Postby Deviance » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:36 am

I did try that, went Rhinox hide into skrag brown into zandri dust, I guess I can try going a bit heavier on the zandri dust and a bit less on the skrag brown for the next one, may have gotten the balance a bit off.

Will hit it with some more zandri dust tonight and see what happens.
Deviance
private

Postby Deviance » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:35 am

Christmas came early, the characters didnt arrive in time for my friend to bring them with him, so will have to courier those at a later date.

A bit more incentive to get painting again. Still got a mountain left to paint and now I have more, lol.

Deviance
private

Postby Bovine » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:53 pm

geekgrrrl wrote:I love the painting so far - the heavy washing really brings out the details nicely. No advice on the eyes unfortunately - I generally don't paint mine, just using the wash to give a suggestion of eyes instead.

Admittedly I'm doing the same, my hands are not steady enough, so I shade it so the suggestion is there, rather than the detail
Bovine
private

Postby Bovine » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Deviance wrote:Christmas came early, the characters didnt arrive in time for my friend to bring them with him, so will have to courier those at a later date.

A bit more incentive to get painting again. Still got a mountain left to paint and now I have more, lol.

Awesome! I'm quite enjoying putting the primaris together.
Bovine
private

Postby Deviance » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 pm

Slow progress
Edge highlights still to go, but its getting there.

Deviance
private

Postby Deviance » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:31 pm

More progress, still coming along slowly
Deviance
private

Postby Deviance » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 pm

finished up some characters this week, quite pleased with how Sammael turned out.
Working on my black knights and devastators now
Neb moar plasma

Deviance
private

Postby Severian » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 am

Like it. The bases look really nice and I enjoy the purple as a spot colour. :thumbup:
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
Azmodan - Jetbike archon "Charge the Monkeigh!... By Khaine where did those wheels come from.. arrgh" plummets to the ground floor *CRASH*
Severian
general

Postby Deviance » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks man
Yeah the purple was initially just meant to be for the inside of the cloaks & alternate cloak colours, but I liked the way it highlighted so much I started going a bit mad with it.
Still concerned that its a bit too much, like on the the Ancient and Azreals banner and the one seargeant, mostly because of using red on all the weapons.
Deviance
private

Postby q21 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:01 am

Damn, this is some nice work. I agree, Sammael turned out great. Keep it up.
You know those times when you wish you could think of something funny or interesting to say, but just can't... yeah, this is one of those times.
q21
major

Postby Deviance » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Havnt done all that much recently, but atleast Im not that guy that never has objective markers anymore

Deviance
private

Return to Miniatures