40k Nationals – 1st/2nd Sep'18 – Warzone Jeppe Quondam

Post your announcements for non-club specific tournaments. You many only have ONE thread per tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

40k Nationals – 1st/2nd Sep'18 – Warzone Jeppe Quondam

Postby AndrewS » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks to Cabal, 3+ and Warbanner for the input and continued support and assistance in arranging Nationals 2018 – Gauteng.

When: The event will take place over 2 days – the 1st and 2nd of September. The dates were jointly selected between the Gauteng Club leads to be the optimal date due to Comicon, X-Wing Nationals, Rage, and Northcon, while also leaving gap weekends for families and fatigue.

Where: The event will by run at the Warzone club premises at Jeppe Quandam where we have booked the main hall. Lunch (a limited menu of about 3 choices) will be supplied by the venue and will be included in entry fee. If anyone has any special dietary requirements or doesn’t want the food included in the entry fee please arrange when pre-registering. Additional food and beverages will be available on site at the bar. Warzone will scout the surrounding area for cheap accommodation for travelling players and feedback as soon as we have information.

Registration: This will be a pre-registration event (due to food arrangements and other logistics). Registration will close on Sunday the 26th of August 1 week before the event. Registration cost will be confirmed when we have venue pricing and menus. Entry includes lunch and participation prizes.

The rules pack is attached to this post. It is version 1. As there may be additional FAQ points or clarifications, plus there is still a poll on the use of a clock, a final rules pack will be posted on the 31st of July to allow for testing, and GW Beta rules confirmations.

Basic rules – :
2000 point lists and 3 Detachments limit.
Standard GW rules and missions will be used.
All codex’s, FAQ’s or Rules supplements released (For sale – not pre-released) before the 6st of August 2018 will be legal in the event – allowing for 4 full weeks of testing before the event.
All lists will have a pre-check before being submitted. The details of this pre-check will be released with the rules pack, and should ensure that any army “leaks” are not an issue, and the responsibility is on the players to submit accurate lists.
All lists will be checked by 2 separate event judges before the 1st game has been concluded to ensure that if there are any issues they can be resolved before the event progresses further.
Fully painted and based models will be a requirement. 3 colours minimum (excludes a base primed colour of grey, black or white unless models are completely painted). Although WYSIWYG will not be strictly enforced , the “counts as” will need to be reasonable and kept to a bare minimum – full armies of “counts as” where every weapon is something else will not be allowed! It is unfair to opponents and wastes time when people need to constantly clarify what they are facing.
Number of turns played will be tracked on the score sheets.

Organisation: We are expecting between 40-64 players to attend, therefore there will be 6 rounds of competition. We will probably need to cap the player numbers to 64 to ensure that 6 rounds is the maximum number played due to players needing to travel long distances.
Rounds will be 2h30m in length with 15 min for capture and pairings. We will need to run the event promptly to finish on time.

Day 1:
9:30am – 12:00pm
Lunch
1:00pm – 3:30pm
3:45pm – 6:15pm

Day 2: Early start to accommodate flights for players travelling.
8:30am – 11:00am
Early Lunch to ensure completion.
12:00pm – 2:30pm
2:45pm – 5:15pm
Prize Giving 5:40pm

If you have any comments or queries please send them though via email to andrews.sa01@gmail.com

Thanks
Attachments
2018 40K Nationals - Rules Pack v2.pdf
(766.82 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by AndrewS on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndrewS
major

Re: 40k Nationals – 1st/2nd Sep'18 – Warzone Jeppe Quondam

Postby Doc Rot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:58 am

64 players!!! Wow!
A stranger in a strange land

Visit the Eastern Cape Warlords - Wargaming Club at
www.facebook.com/easterncapewarlords
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby burstear » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Any idea if chapter approved rules will be used?
Nationals 2012 (W3-L2-D0) 11th***Mayhem &Carnage 2013 (W4-L1-D0) 3rd***Thug 2013 (W3-L1-D0) 2nd***Thugcon 2013 (W3-L0-D1) 1st***G2C2 2014 (W5-L0-D0) 1st
burstear
general

Postby Shadow Blaze » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:07 pm

They most certainly will be, and any other FAQs that are released before 6 August
Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby burstear » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Thx,
will be first tourney i play in since 6th...i dropped out in 7th.
so 8th will be fun just need to figure out the meta for 8th. (seeing as i havent played 8th competitively at all)
Nationals 2012 (W3-L2-D0) 11th***Mayhem &Carnage 2013 (W4-L1-D0) 3rd***Thug 2013 (W3-L1-D0) 2nd***Thugcon 2013 (W3-L0-D1) 1st***G2C2 2014 (W5-L0-D0) 1st
burstear
general

Postby AfkFanatic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:10 am

Realistically speaking do you really think a 2000 point game can be finished within 2.5 hours?

Without limiting army choices for races such as orks, AM, and tyranids I don't see how you can make sure each player gets equal time during a game.
AfkFanatic
corporal

Postby Shadow Blaze » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Playing a horde army in any competitive setting is always a risk due to the timed nature of games. 2.5 hours is a brisk pace to be playing at but can be doable if you know your army well and have prepared enough before hand.

If you're gonna be bringing blobs of units you'd better have a way of deploying and moving quickly (I've seen a lot of players starting to use movement trays again for this) to make up for this fact or you may find yourself not scoring enough to maintain the top tables. For those players going against this you're going to have to keep your horde-y opponent humble and thrifty with their turns, it's in both of your best interest to get as many turns in for as many points as possible win or lose.
Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby AndrewS » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:13 pm

We have also had a proposal of a death clock. I.e. each player has 1:15 min on the clock.
If one players clock runs out and the other player has 15min or less left, then the current turn is completed and the game is over as both players are playing at similar pace.
If the other player has more than that left then they win and the person who ran out of time gets a loss.
This was raised as people with Horde armies or are deep thinkers tend use more time of the 2:30 min which is also unfair. I personally like this idea, but we would need a majority vote for this to be considered.

I must say this is only a proposal that has been forwarded to the organizers for consideration at this stage.

I would be very interested to hear the thoughts of any players that will be attending nationals if they would appreciate the use of a death clock system.

The other point we will be monitoring is the number of turns a player reaches after each game and look for trends. If we find a specific player only getting to turn 2 or 3 in games it will be addressed.

The main reason for 2:30 and not 2:45 (Large events overseas are 2,000 in 2:40 or 2:45) is to make sure people travelling from a distance can get decent times for flights without time pressure. They will have to guide us if this makes sense or not.
No system is perfect, but we do feel that 2,000 is possible in 2:30 hours. It is a nationals level event so players should know the rules and be tardy. The missions will also be standard and not require learning or interpretation. We will also try and make sure there is enough prep time between rounds by keeping a strict schedule.
AndrewS
major

Postby AfkFanatic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:08 am

I would use a deathclock system
AfkFanatic
corporal

Postby Doc Rot » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 am

I would be averse to a death clock. I use Imperial Guard which are not the speediest of armies because of the buckets of dice you have to roll. However, I normally will reach Turn 4 or 5, because my turns get significantly quicker each turn (as the models are shovelled off the table).

However, my opponents always seem to take their time when deliberating what they want to target, with their turns also speeding up as the models are removed.

My biggest gripe, is that people may try to delay your turn to run your death clock down e.g. measuring everything you do, double checking every rule, asking to see it in the codex. Its very easy for an unscrupulous player to do this.

I think it would be very unfair for someone to lose a game just because the clock run out, especially under the circumstances noted above.

Perhaps provide tips for people with horde armies. For example, every model that gets removed I put back in the death box in its squad (24 beer pack cardboard boxes are ideal). This way, when you go to deploy, everything is already in its place neatly. Don't measure every single model, measure the front row and move up accordingly (if somebody is making you measure everything to the T, they're probably trying to run your death clock down).

As I said, I'd be against it.

Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Danie Smit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Doc Rot wrote:I would be averse to a death clock. I use Imperial Guard which are not the speediest of armies because of the buckets of dice you have to roll. However, I normally will reach Turn 4 or 5, because my turns get significantly quicker each turn (as the models are shovelled off the table).

However, my opponents always seem to take their time when deliberating what they want to target, with their turns also speeding up as the models are removed.

My biggest gripe, is that people may try to delay your turn to run your death clock down e.g. measuring everything you do, double checking every rule, asking to see it in the codex. Its very easy for an unscrupulous player to do this.

I think it would be very unfair for someone to lose a game just because the clock run out, especially under the circumstances noted above.

Perhaps provide tips for people with horde armies. For example, every model that gets removed I put back in the death box in its squad (24 beer pack cardboard boxes are ideal). This way, when you go to deploy, everything is already in its place neatly. Don't measure every single model, measure the front row and move up accordingly (if somebody is making you measure everything to the T, they're probably trying to run your death clock down).

As I said, I'd be against it.

I'm considering playing, so I'd also be against it - for the reasons noted above.
'SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE' he shouted, trembling with rage.
'SETTRA RULES'
Danie Smit
general

Postby Dirty Rat » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 am

Death clocks are not feasible in 40k for the reasons Doc Rot has already mentioned.

Of more concern to me is the time limit you are proposing. 2hrs 30 mins is not enough for 2000pts. We have played numerous 2000pts tournaments in the Cape. In all the events we found that even the faster players were struggling with a 2hrs 45 mins time limit.
The fact that Nationals only plays 2 games on the second days means that with a 3hr or 2hr.45 minute time limit is doable for those flying home after the event.
I suggest you run a couple of tournaments . You will in all probability find there is a problem with 2hrs 30 minutes especially when players from different regions have to discuss regional differences in rules/terrain interpretations.
Dirty Rat
colonel

Postby burstear » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:08 pm

2 easy option:
1)drop limit to 1850 and keep time at 2:30
2)keep it at 2000pts and increase time (getting rid of lunch time...not fun at all)

still 2;30hr if thats the rules then so be it.
burstear
general

Postby Draugr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:39 pm

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/03/ ... aller.html

Maybe run some test events like this article suggests?
Draugr
colonel

Postby Doc Rot » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 am

The risk of no (liquid) lunch is a major concern.

Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Next

Return to Tournament Announcements