40k Nationals – 1st/2nd Sep'18 – Warzone Jeppe Quondam

Post your announcements for non-club specific tournaments. You many only have ONE thread per tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Re: 40k Nationals – 1st/2nd Sep'18 – Warzone Jeppe Quondam

Postby Doc Rot » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:06 pm

The anticipation is sintilating.

Wife has given the nod, the Taliban are being painted up for another Jihad, and my liver is in serious training for the beating it will receive.
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby The italian job » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:13 am

I agree with unded about the clock explanation. Is the fairest method of time keeping, is it necessary to learn clock management and discipline, since you need to pass the clock to an opponent that overuse your time (so he will stop immediately).
On the other hand, if the clock is passed to the opponenet is his own responsibility to pass it back, so proper management need to be learnt. Playing with clocks isn't easy and need practice. I'm not sure it can be enforced for the first time in a national tournament, but if you guys are willing to try you aren't going to look back.
Mi dispiace, ma io so' io e voi non siete un cazzo!
The italian job
major

Postby AndrewS » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Announcement:

I would like to confirm that at this stage there is no decision to enforce the use of a clock system for nationals. We will post a survey in the next week or two once people have had time to test.

I would also like to state if people have any suggestions on the schedule for the event to please let us know.

The full rules pack will be released at the end of April so we have time for input.

Feedback on Clock Testing:

I had 2 x 2000 point games yesterday. I set the clocks to 1:15:00 (HH:MM:SS) for each player. We started the clock in deployment phase after selecting sides (the idea is that nationals will have preset missions and you only need to select sides). We tapped the clock each time we deployed a unit. Also in combat, we tapped when opponents attacked back as that could take a little longer.
I must admit in the first game I had a little anxiety of clock awareness but it faded quickly. As long as you don't dawdle its fine.
The other key element, is to have you models you intend to deploy in the non-deployment area so its quicker to access for deployment. One could argue you don't want your opponent to see whats going in reserve then just mix it up a little... It saves time. Also to be nice if a guy is setting up a unit of 20 models, and started to place a few, you can then continue with your next deployment to save them a little time. This worked well in our games.

Both games were Maelstrom from Chapter Approved. This is important as Maelstrom will take a little more time due to drawing cards and understanding what you need to do.

Game 1: Grey Knights (23 models - 10 units to control) vs Khorne (+- 100 models +- 18 units to control)
Got to turn 5 (Game was effectively over - we could have had turn 6)
Grey knight player had 0:4:20 left on the clock and Khorne player had 0:14:40 left on the clock. Understandably there were only 3 shooting units and no psychic for the Khorne team.

Game 2: Marines and Imperial Knights (21 models - 9 units to control) vs Imperial Guard (+- 60 models +-14 units to control)
got to turn 6 (again the game was effectively over - we could have had turn 7)
Marine player had 0:14:30 left on the clock and IG player had 0:09:14 left on the clock
There was no psychic phase for either player.

We did look up rules in both games and came up with some issue we will FAQ in the rules such as cover and distance to objectives on upper levels etc. The point being we "wasted" time checking things and debating.

Also we did forget to pass the clock a few times and just compensated manually a few times to be fair. Sportsmanship still is a part of the game with a clock.

So based on these results my personal opinion is that its perfectly viable and fair. So I urge people to give it a test. It also makes the games way more "time saving" so you can fit more social games in.
AndrewS
major

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:35 am

Bustrear, I'm gonna make you earn your name there!!! Papa gaan droog in!!!
I have this disease called "Awesome".
You wouldn't understand because you don't have it.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby AfkFanatic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:13 am

AndrewS wrote:
Feedback on Clock Testing:

Also we did forget to pass the clock a few times and just compensated manually a few times to be fair. Sportsmanship still is a part of the game with a clock.

So based on these results my personal opinion is that its perfectly viable and fair. So I urge people to give it a test. It also makes the games way more "time saving" so you can fit more social games in.

You had the same experience to many people online who gave opinions. The majority of naysayers havent actually tried a game with clocks yet from what I can see.
AfkFanatic
corporal

Postby burstear » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:51 am

Captain Sensible wrote:Bustrear, I'm gonna make you earn your name there!!! Papa gaan droog in!!!

Roflmao... u promise? Kaktain jy gaan sukkel om by te bly, die laaitjie like dit rough.
Nationals 2012 (W3-L2-D0) 11th***Mayhem &Carnage 2013 (W4-L1-D0) 3rd***Thug 2013 (W3-L1-D0) 2nd***Thugcon 2013 (W3-L0-D1) 1st***G2C2 2014 (W5-L0-D0) 1st
burstear
general

Postby Doc Rot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:04 am

So I'll be the first to raise the sticky, moist subject.....Rule of 3, will the suggested format be used?

As an Imperial Guard Infantry focussed army, implementing it will seriously screw me. To the point of not being able to make 1500pts, let alone 2000pts of valid army.

Given that, down here, most of us can't rush out to buy 20 Hive Tyrants or whatever the latest ball-sack net list is, I wouldn't of thought the filth it is trying to stop would actually exist.

Thoughts?
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby J4RH34D » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:54 am

Wont most of your units be troop choices which aren't effected?
J4RH34D
private

Postby Doc Rot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Veteran Squads, Special weapon squads and heavy weapon squads are classified as elites and heavy support. I can maybe get up to 10 infantry squads, with alot of "counts as". Which is about 400 - 500pts.
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Doc Rotgut, what army do you have? What's in your list that makes it non viable?
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Doc Rot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:10 pm

It's infantry, Imperial Guard infantry. With tons of heavy weapon teams and special weapon teams....and infantry. Did I mention that it has infantry rather than tanks.

The new suggested rule of 3 thing for tournaments means you can only select 3 of the same type of non troop choice. i.e. 3 lots of heavy weapon teams and 3 lots of special weapons (doesn't matter which weapons they are). So that wipes out a fair chunk of the army, as I rely on the heavy weapons and special weapon teams to get to 2000pts as they are more expensive than a 40pt 10 man infantry squad (which is pretty much all I'll be able to take).

If it really comes to the crunch, I'll be able to take my mates 2 massive tank things, but that's not really in keeping with my Afghan militia and Russian Jihadi themed army (Tallarn and Mordian Iron guard, lots and lots of them models, lots of them).

I'll still come up, it'll just be rubbish having to use somebody elses stuff.
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Damn Rotgut, that's nasty. Can't you like, you know, get a real 40k army for the event? Something like space marines?
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Doc Rot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:52 pm

It's basically racist and religicist. GeeDub hates anyone who doesn't play space marines, especially if they play armies consisiting of models which aren't painted in their "only white people and space marines exist in the 41st millennia" nirvana.

Throw in some turbans and that's it, your armies banned.

They banned my army because they have black turbans. That's a scientific fact, there's no actual proof, but its a fact.
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby burstear » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:54 pm

well i guess seeing as the FAQ came out more than a month before the event...it will be used, seeing as nationals runs vanilla rules and faq as it is released.

personally i love that new rule of three, cause it doesnt effect my list. (ork horde list just 180 buys 60 stormboys yeah me....no more spamming horrible orky killy stuff)
and secondly it does create balance and varierty.

just like the rule "boots on the ground" stopped guys from bringng rowboat girlyman and 3 stormravens so this new rule will bring balance
Nationals 2012 (W3-L2-D0) 11th***Mayhem &Carnage 2013 (W4-L1-D0) 3rd***Thug 2013 (W3-L1-D0) 2nd***Thugcon 2013 (W3-L0-D1) 1st***G2C2 2014 (W5-L0-D0) 1st
burstear
general

Postby burstear » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Doc Rot wrote:They banned my army because they have black turbans. That's a scientific fact, there's no actual proof, but its a fact.

Slow down there tiger....GW is by no means racist or relegist...the error is u think they hate ur disgusting, nausiating turban wearing army.
in fact ur army is completely racist to the core...why have u not bothered trying to convert ur army to the healthy supreme and all peace loving helmet wearing space marine army.
(remeber kids helmets are there for ur safety....helmets good turbans bad)

dare i say this is reverse racsism....picking on the poor financialy struggling family friendly GW company, who just wants to make u happy if u would only play space marines. :mrgreen:
burstear
general

PreviousNext

Return to Tournament Announcements