40k Nationals – 1st/2nd Sep'18 – Warzone Jeppe Quondam

Post your announcements for non-club specific tournaments. You many only have ONE thread per tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Re: 40k Nationals – 1st/2nd Sep'18 – Warzone Jeppe Quondam

Postby mareck » Wed May 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Eish,
What a sour bunch we have here. We are supposed to be 40K players here.
If you want to hold a grudge, go play Magic.

All i wanted to do was weight in on the rules discussion around the objectives being predetermined.
So my 5 cents worth.
* Objectives should be placed as per the rulebook and ITC standard. None of this weird shiat.
* Deployments should be rolled for by a judge for ever round.
* co-signing for lists does not work unless you are Mr. popular living in a big town.

Will look at the finalized rules in a few months time and see if its worth flying up.
Chaos, havoc, disorder.
My work here is done.
mareck
corporal

Postby Doc Rot » Thu May 24, 2018 7:55 am

mareck wrote:Eish,
What a sour bunch we have here. We are supposed to be 40K players here.
If you want to hold a grudge, go play Magic.

Definitely alot of handbags flying around
A stranger in a strange land

Visit the Eastern Cape Warlords - Wargaming Club at
www.facebook.com/easterncapewarlords
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby burstear » Thu May 24, 2018 8:19 am

*munch* *munch* neeed more popcorn *munch* *munch* cant...leave...now...too interested in this *munch*
Nationals 2012 (W3-L2-D0) 11th***Mayhem &Carnage 2013 (W4-L1-D0) 3rd***Thug 2013 (W3-L1-D0) 2nd***Thugcon 2013 (W3-L0-D1) 1st***G2C2 2014 (W5-L0-D0) 1st
burstear
general

Postby The Warsmith » Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 am

Morning gentlemen

Sjoe lots of reading. Gents, first off big thanks to the judges and organizers for the effort that has been put in so far. :clap: :clap:

Really folks having run a number of 8th edition tournaments so far I can well appreciate the efforts being made here, particularly having to try and manage something over the interwebs. Judges and organizers stand strong lads we'll be laughing about this all one day.

My only meh moment regarding the rulespack is yes indeed the placement of objective markers. I fell this is a massively strategic element of the game and having them pre-set removes an element of that strategy. So if anything is going to be changed I humbly request that it be that.

My suggestion as I have been doing in the tournaments I've run here in the Cape is as follows.

-opponents roll off and place objectives as per the rulesbook mission.
-Once all table have deployed all objectives, judge rolls a dice to determine the deployment zones.
-Player who placed the last objective selects table side and players begin deploying as normal.

This will also have the benefit of ensuring that all tables begin deploying at the same time, which I believe will assists with the time management element of the Nationals.

Regarding the list checking, if people need help checking LIST IDEAS as in not their final lists, I will be more than happy to assist with checking of points and detachments etc.

Please email Bernie at berwilmar@gmail.com whatsap me on 072 313 6928 I am happy to help.

Folks I've always felt the Nationals is the Rols Royce of tournaments for South Africa, it is the closest we'll come to the grand tournaments they hold across the waters. Given the High Stakes of this tournament I don't feel it's totally unreasoanble that effort is being made to ensure all lists are 100% accurate. List checking works both ways folks take the time make sure your points are correct and work with a buddy. Then rock up and take ass and kick names . . . . wait?? :shock:

While I see there are still some issues to be ironed out, I salute the organizers for the efforts they've made here. Regardless of the outcome and decisions made my Chaos army will be looking to clash with you all at this grand event. I appeal to all involve that we do our best to bury old hatred and cultivates new gentlemen rivalries over this epic game of toy soldiers.

See you all on the battlefield.

Lok Tar Augar.
The Warsmith
sergeant

Postby Doc Rot » Thu May 24, 2018 9:40 am

Bernie - I'm looking forward to clashing beers with you again. We missed you at Battle of the Bay last year and the BBQ at my house after.

Dave

Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby AfkFanatic » Thu May 24, 2018 10:13 am

burstear wrote:*munch* *munch* neeed more popcorn *munch* *munch* cant...leave...now...too interested in this *munch*
Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (366.02 KiB) Viewed 732 times
AfkFanatic
corporal

Postby Shadow Blaze » Thu May 24, 2018 3:30 pm

I am totally open to having the objectives be placed by the players and your suggestions for how to determine deployment type are noted. I do also feel that there is a skill in knowing how to place your objectives and being able to place objectives on upper levels helps a lot to keep certain armies humble.

I'll likely set up a poll and have a discussion with the other judges around it. But I do know that AndrewS, who put the first pack together, did put a lot of consideration into those deployments to make the missions interesting and fair.

I still haven't heard any complaints on the missions selected to be played however so I would suggest that you continue to test using them as your baseline.
Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby Doc Rot » Thu May 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Shadow Blaze wrote:I am totally open to having the objectives be placed by the players and your suggestions for how to determine deployment type are noted. I do also feel that there is a skill in knowing how to place your objectives and being able to place objectives on upper levels helps a lot to keep certain armies humble.

I'll likely set up a poll and have a discussion with the other judges around it. But I do know that AndrewS, who put the first pack together, did put a lot of consideration into those deployments to make the missions interesting and fair.

I still haven't heard any complaints on the missions selected to be played however so I would suggest that you continue to test using them as your baseline.

The basic ones are great for me. The more things I have to remember, the more time it's gonna take me to do anything. Basic is best.

Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Dirty Rat » Thu May 24, 2018 4:51 pm

I would also like to see objectives placed by the players as this can separate the boyz from the men. I would also like to see the missions and set ups rolled for on the day.

GW seem to have accepted my advice and opted for 1750 points with a 2hr.30 min time limit.
Dirty Rat
colonel

Postby Shadow Blaze » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Hey all,

So some of you may have seen the new poll up on the discussion board, please go and vote there for how you'd like deployments and objectives to be handled.

Then to the much debated clock system! In the end the votes were very close but having discussed it among the judges and seeing the result and how the clocks played at a recent tournament we feel that the logistics and general standing of the players against using them leaves us with the decision to not make use of clocks for nationals this year.

We do suggest that people do give them a try though as we have seen good results while making use of them to speed games along. With the removal of clocks for timing in rounds we will be a lot more stricter on slow play and will have a system in place penalising those that do not get to the later rounds of their matches across their games.

Thank you all for your feedback so far and please let us know if you have any more concerns or suggestions!
Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby The Warsmith » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:36 pm

So Sorry, very noob question. Where do we find the poll for objective deployment? :mrgreen:

Muchos Gracias Compadre.
The Warsmith
sergeant

Postby Shadow Blaze » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby The Warsmith » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:59 am

Greetings gents. just a quick question.

The GW ITC tournaments currently have a rule where the bottom floor of all ruins counts as complete line of sight blocking terrain. Regardless of whether models can actually be seen or not.

Is this going to be the case for nationals? Or will regular line of sight rules apply.

Kindly confirm asap.

Cheers. Bernie :mrgreen:
The Warsmith
sergeant

Postby Shadow Blaze » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:48 am

Hey there,

We've been keeping an eye out on those tournaments for what they make use of and have used some of their rulings to influence the first rules pack draft. We'll discuss this among the judges, but I have a feeling that we will have true line of sight and not have the lower levels be counts as.

Look for an update soon.

All the best,
Douw
Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby The Warsmith » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Much thanks for the quick response comrade. salute

Word of warning gents, Imperial Knights are going to causing quite the meta shift methinks. The knew flae thrower one is tricky to remove, keep that in mind for you nats lists. :twisted:

Cheers

Bernie
The Warsmith
sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Tournament Announcements