Proposed tournament guidelines

a place to talk about anything

Proposed tournament guidelines

Postby DaImp » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:59 pm

In order to ensure that all tournaments that count for rankings are of a similar grade and structure, a set of guidelines for what constitutes a ranking tournament are under construction.

The thinking is that a tournament must adhere to the guidelines if it is to be given ranking status. The guidelines are fairly open and will allow the tournament organisers to add their own character and ideas to a tournament, so long as they follow certain set points.

Many thanks to Danie for writing the following guidelines (a few points have been edited by myself):

General tournament rules:

To have your tournament registered for rankings, you have to register it before hand, but then you may advertise it as a Warhammer Generals ranked tournament, using the Warhammer Generals logo. A few things will disqualify the tournament, see below.

To be able to register, you need a fully detailed rules pack of all the scenarios being played, and with a single, consistent points limit for armies to use. Details in the rules pack should include:

- the timetable,
- entry fee to your tournament,
- what prizes are to be won (other than being ranked),
- who is running it,
- the location of the tournament,
- the MAXIMUM players that you would be able to accommodate,
- contact details for preregistration to avoid disappointment,
- The points limit both systems are constrained to,
- The way points are scored (ie, 20-0, 17-3 or the new 3 for win, 1 for draw or 0 for loss system. You may also use your own system, as long as it is clearly defined)
- details about whether sustenance would be available for purchase and so on and so on.

See system specific rules below for more on scenarios and so on. Should your tourney be part of a larger event, details of how your rules pack can be obtained should be included in the event pack, if not your entire rules pack be able to be included.

There should be a dedicated judge/organizer for each system (thus minimum two people to run a tourney for both systems) for organizing and rules queries.

For a tournament to qualify for ranking status it will need to have a minimum of 10 players participating. If you don’t have this, your tournament will not be able to be ranked and be disqualified from rankings.

For both systems you need to have at least 5 games played, but more is acceptable, if not preferred.

If any big tournament doesn’t comply with the above, it also doesn’t count. It is my suggestion that Regionals tournaments HAVE TO comply with these rules. Nationals have to comply with UKGT rules, which also fall into these rules.
Last edited by DaImp on Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Merry
Warhammer Generals head honcho

Check out my WHFB 3rd Edition blog: http://oldhammergenerals.blogspot.com
DaImp
general

Postby DaImp » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:01 pm

Fantasy

Fantasy tournaments are limited to 2000 point armies.

You must specify if you DISALLOW the following, otherwise it is assumed to be allowed:
- Army book Special Characters (this would include newer army book’s special characters, that is included the in the army list)
- Non army book Special Characters (ala non opponents’ consent guys, such as from the white dwarf or GW website)
- Storm of Chaos lists and rules (this includes for example being able to use Mounted Daemonettes or the Hellcannon in a normal chaos army)
- White Dwarf lists (such as the Heinrich Kemmler list, Clan Moulder list or Gnoblar horde list) (note that if special characters aren’t allowed, some of these aren’t either) You may specify specifically which ones
- Lustria Lists (note that if special characters aren’t allowed, these aren’t either)
- Dogs of War choices (note that when disallowing Dogs of War, this also disallows Regiments of Renown and Ogre Kingdoms Dogs of War) This disallow option doesn’t disallow the army itself, and the army itself may take Regiments of Renown automatically, but can’t take Ogre Kingdoms Dogs of War if the Above dogs of war has been disallowed.
- Wood elf forest deployment
- Other options such as Rhinox riders for Ogre Kingdoms, or the Chaos Mammoth

Any other forge world rules (such as the dragons and giant spawn) and other opponents consent only rules, not mentioned above, are automatically disallowed. You may trump all the above by stating that only army book rules are allowed, thus disallowing everything else, but then all the rules in the army book may be used, including special characters. (note, that with this one, you may still disallow the wood elf forest)

For scenarios, you have to use the scenario on page 2 of the rulebook, but for flavor you may add special features into the games. Should you wish to include these, you have to state in your rules pack what special features would be played in each game, and the effect of each.
Jonathan Merry

DaImp
general

Postby DaImp » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:03 pm

40k tournaments are limited to 1500 point armies.

As with Fantasy, you have to specifically disallow the following, otherwise it will be assumed allowed:

- Chapter Approved Rules (like Ork Clans, or any other such rules)
- All Special Characters
- Opponents Consent Special Characters
- Forge World Rules (Including Superheavies.)
- Harlequins (lol, just kidding, you can’t disallow them, even if you want to)
- Superheavies (Anything with a mass/structure point, like Titans)

Forgeworld rules that doesn’t appear in an imperial armory book or similar release, is automatically disallowed. You may trump all the above by stating that only codex rules are allowed, thus disallowing everything else, including opponents consent special characters.

For scenarios, all the scenarios have to be predetermined before the tournament. So for example round one will be Cleanse Gamma, Round two, Take and Hold Omega etc. It is preferable to include these in the rules packs, but you may decide to only reveal these before each game at your option.
Jonathan Merry

DaImp
general

Postby Danie Smit » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:18 am

i don't like it at all. change it all.

wait...

err...

ok, but seriously, any comments at all on the above??
Danie Smit
general

Postby Ashnak » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:03 pm

Raknut of Lybaras wrote:i don't like it at all. change it all.

wait...

err...

ok, but seriously, any comments at all on the above??

it looks fine. all i wanna do is play games.
Ashnak
colonel

Postby Tyrealviper » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:30 pm

I really want Forgeworld rules, but no flyers or superheavies
Tyrealviper
lieutenant-general

Postby Danie Smit » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:32 am

Ashnak wrote:it looks fine. all i wanna do is play games.

Well said. Hand the man a cookie... (enable receive cookies in your browser dude ;) )
Danie Smit
general

Postby Grifthin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Looks good to me.
"The Universe is a Tripartite: the sunlight of the material plane, the darkness of the spirit plane, and the twilight of the spaces betwixt the two." - Spirit Seer Iyanna Arienal
Grifthin
major

Re:

Postby Severian » Tue May 25, 2010 2:59 pm

DaImp wrote:40k 40k tournaments are limited to 1500 point armies.

Are we (and by that I mean you Imp :D )going to amend this as I take it this is no longer the case?
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
Azmodan - Jetbike archon "Charge the Monkeigh!... By Khaine where did those wheels come from.. arrgh" plummets to the ground floor *CRASH*
Severian
general

Re: Proposed tournament guidelines

Postby Zazoo » Tue May 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Also it is missing warmahordes. :)
Don't argue with Idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Warmachine: Our Dragons are not loot bags!!!
Zazoo
brigadier-general

Postby Alqualonde » Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Zazoo wrote:Also it is missing warmahordes. :)

What's that :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Eca a mitta lambetya cendelesse orcova
Alqualonde
lieutenant-general

Re: Re:

Postby DaImp » Tue May 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Severian wrote:
DaImp wrote:40k 40k tournaments are limited to 1500 point armies.

Are we (and by that I mean you Imp :D )going to amend this as I take it this is no longer the case?

Thats just a guideline really. no tournament is going to be excluded for playing 1750 points. It is really just there to exclude the tournaments that involve extraordinarily large or small points sizes.
Jonathan Merry

DaImp
general

Postby und_ed » Tue May 25, 2010 11:43 pm

I recmomend changing the points limit to minimums (say 1000 for 40K, and 1500 for Fantasy) since those are still perfectly acceptable games sizes for either system, and by changing it to a minimum, rather than a set value, the TO is free to run as he sees fit.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby Baldrick » Wed May 26, 2010 11:44 am

1750 for 40K....

Done.

Thanks

8)
Baldrick
"What we got here is a failure to communicate".....Ordo Hereticus
Baldrick
general

Postby R0N1N » Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Baldrick wrote:1750 for 40K....

Done.

Thanks

8)
Baldrick

hmmm, that extra 100 points will give some armies way too many extra nastie options... I like

+1
'Time is a weapon like no other, If nothing else i can simple wait for my foes to rot...'
-Orikan the diviner
R0N1N
general

Next

Return to Chat about whatever